Sunday, April 14, 2013

Coming Out of The Closet



Well, it’s happened. I had a love affair with running since age 14. And I’m ready to come out of the closet - I don’t enjoy running anymore, at least not the way that I used to.



All this was stirred up last weekend. I was supposed to be running my first post-baby half marathon this morning. Where am I? On the couch writing while my 13 month old daughter naps.


I realize this “I do not enjoy running anymore” may change once I stop breast-feeding, once my hormones return to homeostasis, once my toddler gets a little bit older and the sleep cycles become longer. Nonetheless it’s been a daunting reality for me to accept about myself. I was always “the runner”. And my ego loved that I was always the runner. I envisioned myself running with a stroller, my tot happily swinging her feet before me. Now I am satisfied with a leisurely saunter.



My love affair started in the sixth grade as a budding lacrosse player. That stretched into high school, college and blossomed into adulthood. Tie the sneakers, hit the road and run until I couldn’t anymore, then turn around and come home. An ex-boyfriend nicknamed me Forest Gump because he said I kept running, and running and running.


Gumpin Gwen

Running was my escape. It was the way I cleared my mind from all the chatter. It was my yoga, my mode of returning to my breath. It was how I got myself sober. I loved to sweat, to feel my breath pulsing, to feel my lungs activated, to feel my muscles stretching and ecstatically sore a few hours later. Those were the highs that I used to get when I ran.




Hydrating or hungover? 


Athletically, I’d always completed what I said I would do, no matter what – a marathon with a few months of training, another marathon morbidly hung over (pre sober), a triathlon with only a month of training and completed it in a personal best time.  But it’s happened, twice now, where I didn’t follow through on an athletic goal because of being a mother.







The first, after six months of training for a Half Ironman, and only three weeks away from the race I discovered I was pregnant and decided not to participate. The morning sickness lasted 24 hours a day and I was so exhausted I had to take a nap in my car on the side of the road. Little did I know my maternal instincts had already kicked in and kicked my ass, so I gave myself the “I-am-scared-shitless”, “how-am-I-going-to-do-this-on-my-own-as-a-single-mom”, “I-don’t-want-to-fall-off-my-bike-and-lose-this-miracle-baby” and I-feel-like-I-am-going-to-vomit-24 hours-a-day” pregnancy card. 



Service with a smile




The second race that I missed because of being a mother occurred after my daughter was born and I chose not to run because I’d been up all night, for three nights in a row, with a 103-degree roasting and vomiting baby, doing lots of laundry and serving up homemade chicken soup. 







I’ve signed up for three races in the year that my daughter was born and I completed one of them, an easy 5K that I completed in my personal best time. But in all honesty, I could easily point the finger and blame the baby, but it’s not because of a sick baby, or even because I am a single working mama, even though my ego would like to use those reasons as an excuse. It’s because I don’t need to prove to myself anymore how great I am through running. Why, I asked myself? Because the memory of laboring a baby every 3-6 minutes for 25 hours and pushing her out of my body in my home, without drugs, without a husband, is still very fresh in my noggin. Here's the proof. 

Listen closely for the silent prayer... GOD, PLEASE help me!

That is the greatest and most noteworthy physical feat that I have ever put my body through. I don’t know if any race completion could compare to the unbridled, wearied and divine discomfort of watching my own hands throttle through the finish line and pulling my own baby from my body, watching her face and eyes open for the first time into mine through a crystal clear veil of water. Becoming a mother has given me the gift of knowing I am great - just because I am.

Interestingly enough, no matter how proud I am of my daughter (and my) grand opening, my ego still had to swallow its pride and accept that it didn’t need that jolt and stroking of being labeled as a runner. How could I truly accept something that was so hard to swallow? Maybe I still wanted to run? Did I really want to run?

What I thought I would look like as a mom

What I actually look like as a mom


Master coach Steve Chandler always says its not the “how to” but the “want to”, when it comes to achieving our goals. Rate your “want to” do something. If it’s an 8, 9 or 10, on a scale of 1 to 10, then it means I really want it. So I tested out his theory.  

Do I want to be a great mom to my daughter? 10.
Do I want to provide for my daughter? 10.
Do I want to continue living spiritually and connected with God? 10.
Do I want to continue to learn and be a great coach to my clients? – 10.
Do I want to be in partnership as much as I wanted to become a mother? – 10.
Do I want to spend as much time with my family and friends, enjoying life? – 10.
Do I want to remain sober, healthy, conscious and in love with my life? – 10.
Do I want to spend my time running? – 3.


Content and sweaty after an easy 3 miler


And there it is. It was that simple. The want to wasn’t there so the how to would be a futile effort and waste of time. Running wasn’t one of my priorities, at least not right now in my life, even though I feel like it should be or I want it to be. The reality is, its not. Maybe that love affair will return some day. But for now, being honest with myself that it isn’t one of my priorities is freeing. 


8 comments:

  1. I love this post. It got me thinking about my "wants" and my "shoulds". For me my "wants" are a lot less than my "shoulds". I can see through your post that it's certainly okay to tackle those "shoulds" when they, one day, become "wants". We never expect, as new mothers, how much life presents whole new paradigms and what a gift it is to truly let the old ones fall away. Here's to freedom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your honesty, Coach Gwen. In your story, I am reflecting on who I was in the past and what was important to me - versus who I am now and what is important to me. My life, as a father of 4, is much simpler now. And I like that. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gwen:
    I became a runner at 40 and had to let it go a few years back because that is what my body asked for. I still get that little tickle when I'm walking in the park and someone runs by. It is also clear to me that I liked the image of being a runner. I was attached to it for a long time. And now, I am not. I am just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice blog - These same kinds of thoughts were going through my head today when I got up at 4:25 to head to the Y - I still "want to" but the "shoulds" in my life always creep into my head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your honesty and the voice of surrender, acceptance and even celebration that comes through. What you mentioned about the "want to" scale is so powerful. I'm going to begin to ask myself that question all the time - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog! Totally get it. I went through a little snap where I lost the joy of running and really struggled with what that meant for me. What an interesting twist that it was you who helped me find a way to reconnect with that joy of the road. The nice thing about running is the road will always be there when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing! I take comfort in knowing I am not alone in feeling the changes of life and shifting priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this blog! Thank you so much for sharing.. Life is forever changing and what you find to be important or passionate about will also change. One thing that won't change is your passion for you child(ren). Putting running on the back burner or in the past for the sake of your daughter will open up opportunities to explore new adventures with your daughter or on your own. It should be comforting to you to know you are doing what your mind and body are telling you to do. One day I hope to get that rush again with a competitive sport or races..when the time is right!

    ReplyDelete